Authorization Process Manager - APM
Authorization testing has always been a huge struggle for most companies implementing new roles or changing the existing roles. The reason for this is that it is impossible to avoid time consuming tests of all roles and transaction codes to verify they work and support the business process. Secondly, testing a role concept consisting of anything between 600 and 1.500 transaction codes will unavoidably result in many authorization errors needed to be processed during the testing.
The result is a slow-moving test, huge time consumption, exceeded deadlines, frustrations and authorization roles that every so often will be released for production without being tested. Having seen this scenario being played out in project after project lead to the idea of making a solution that could resolve the problem as soon as it appears.
Authorization Process Manager is designed to deal with these challenges by making the process of testing run more efficiently and to reduce the cost of testing as well as the risk of project postponements due to authorizations.
- Projects blocked by authorization errors
- Huge time consumption and frustrated testers
- Complex change management process
- What was actually tested?
- Impossible to keep deadlines and deliveries
Process Efficiency with Authorization Process Manager
- End-to-end testing without intermission
- Authorization Team not tied to the test
- Efficient error handling and removal of project risks
- Validation of level of testing before go-live
- Role testing effort reduced by up to 75%
Why we built it
As mentioned in the introduction we experienced problems every time we had to support a test of authorizations which often resulted in a negative atmosphere fueled by frustrations in the tester group due to the hundreds of authorization interruptions. The result was either a poor process or untested and failing authorizations moving into the productive system or both. The Authorization Team often became the scapegoat, and to challenge this situation we tried to focus on how we could solve the problems at their root. Helping the testers would help ourselves. We began to focus on making it easier for the testers to execute an authorization test, building bridges over authorizations errors, and most importantly saving them time executing authorization tests. Testers would prefer to have SAP_ALL authorizations to avoid errors altogether, and we are able to offer them practically the same thing with Authorization Process Manager. Direct treatment at the root of the problem has yielded great results in numerous projects while ensuring that authorization roles were thoroughly tested.
Authorization Process Manager Functionalities
- Authorization end-to end testing
- Automated authorization unit testing
- Authorization error reporting
- Test documentation
- Test reporting (Excel download)
- Test management reporting
- APM SU53 authorization error handling
- Authorization approval email notification
- Role development
- CRM Web UI authorization handling
- NWBC authorization error handling
- Authorization error email notification
- Automated test user creation
- OneClick SU53 reporting and correction
- Project test container restrictions
- Test container
- Real time SoD test analysis